About The Manningfords
Manningford is a civil parish in Wiltshire, England. The parish includes the villages of Manningford Abbots, Manningford Bohune and Manningford Bruce, and the hamlet of ManningfordBohune Common, together known as the Manningfords.
The parish is in the Vale of Pewsey which carries the upper section of the Salisbury Avon. Pewsey is about 2 miles to the northeast; the nearest towns are Marlborough, 8 miles northeast and Devizes, 9 miles to the West
Manningford Abbots or Abbas
The eastern third of the parish, is so-called from its ownership by the Abbot of Hyde Abbey, Winchester, founded by Alfred the Great. The Abbot held it, together with the chapelry at Alton Priors, until the Dissolution of the Monasteries. In 1547 it went to the Seymour family (Dukes of Somerset and then Northumberland) until it was split up on 1768.
There was probably a parish church in the 10th century and certainly one in 1291; its dedication is unknown. The church was rebuilt in 1861-64 to designs by the architect S.B Gabriel of Bristol. It was declared redundant in 1984 and the ecclesiastical parish was joined with Manningford Bruce.
The western third of the parish, held by Amelric de Drewes in 1086. The name is from Humphrey de Bohun in the 12th century (related to the Bohun Earls of Hereford).
The Anglican parish church of All Saints was built in 1859 to designs by the architect N.E. Clancet. It was declared redundant in 1973.
The central third of the parish, held by Grimbald the Goldsmith in 1086, named after Norman William de Breuse in 1275. The parish church of Saint Peter is Norman. Restored by J.L. Pearson in 1882, it is Grade 1 listed. The site of a Roman villa is near the church.
The civil parish elects a parish council. It is in the area of Wiltshire Council unitary authority, which is responsible for all significant local government functions. Until 1934 there were three parishes: Manningford Abbots, Bruce and Bohune.
The quintessential essence of the Vale of Pewsey
– Kennet Local Plan –